Welcome to Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
Psychiatry Residency Program in Baton Rouge
We are delighted to welcome you to learn more about our program and our culture. We are a program whose values are based on respect, integrity, intellectual curiosity, diversity, creativity, and a holistic understanding of our patients and their medical needs as well as ourselves. We have dynamic energy here – meaning that we are constantly evaluating where and how we can improve. We don’t sit still.
Our educational focus is on understanding the pathogenesis of disease, the social determinants of health, and the psychological components. For that reason, we endeavor to focus evenly on psychopharmacology and psychotherapy in your training as well as on neuromodulation and emerging treatments for psychiatric illness of all kinds.
Here are some highlights about our program:
- 98% of our graduates since our beginning have passed their boards.
- Our Lady of the Lake Hospital, our main training site, has 69 inpatient beds including two adult inpatient units, a geriatric unit and a child and adolescent unit.
- We had a very busy dedicated psychiatric emergency room with room for 22 patients.
- We have a strong academic adult Consult and Liaison Psychiatry service.
- We have a transcranial magnetic stimulation machine and nasal esketamine treatment in our resident and faculty clinic for treatment resistant depression. Our residents also have access to ECT treatment with one of our partner hospitals.
- We have expanded our suicide-specific treatment program in inpatient and outpatient settings to help reduce risk of suicide and psychiatric admissions.
- We have a medication assisted therapy clinic for opiate use disorder and, with an $800,000 HRSA grant, are providing individual and group CBT services.
- We have developed a Child and Adolescent consultation service for the new free standing OLOL Children's hospital. You will also see some child and adolescent patients in your outpatient experience during your PGY-3 and 4 years.
- We have a strong focus on psychotherapy with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, and Supportive Therapy as the focus. We also teach: Motivational Interviewing, mindfulness techniques, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy, group therapy, and couple’s therapy.
- This year we have added a process group for our PGY-2-4 residents to help with stress and wellness.
- We have dedicated teaching in reproductive psychiatry, quality improvement, patient safety, narrative medicine, ethics, the history of psychiatry, and more.
- We have a thriving Diversity Committee run by our residents. The members of this committee help us with curriculum evaluation, recruitment, advocacy, and get together frequently to appreciate diversity through discussion of film, articles, and art.
- Greater Baton Rouge has a population of over 800,000 people. There is no other psychiatric residency program in the city. We see patients with Medicaid/Medicare, private insurance, and those who are uninsured.
- We have partnerships with our local community mental health provider (Capital Area Human Services District), the state prison (for a forensic experience), Baton Rouge General Medical Center (where residents are exposed to ECT), and local outreach services for the severely ill and homeless (Homeless shelters and an assertive community treatment team) which provide for varied clinical experiences.
- We are part of the LSU Health Sciences Center School of Medicine in New Orleans but located at the Baton Rouge branch campus. All our residents are employees of LSU Health Sciences Center and enjoy the benefits of being a state employee. The Baton Rouge campus houses separate programs in Psychiatry, OBGYN, Internal Medicine, and Emergency Medicine. In addition, LSU residents and medical students from all campuses can rotate through Our Lady of the Lake.
We are excited to help you become the best psychiatrist you can be. You will work hard, have fun, make lasting relationships, and explore human nature, the brain, and your specific interests through teaching and healthcare. We have a respectful, warm environment and look forward to meeting you!
Eva Mathews, MD, MPH
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Psychiatry Residency Program-Baton Rouge
LSUHSC Baton Rouge Psychiatry Residency Program
5246 Brittany Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808