Diversity & Inclusion
We welcome, respect, and embrace differences in age, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, indigenous background, culture, national origin, language, religion, spiritual orientation, ability status, social class, education, veteran status, political persuasion, professional interests and other cultural and professional dimensions. We believe that a faculty and resident group that is rich in these differences makes for a better learning environment and enriches us all.
Resident Training on Issues with Diversity and Inclusion
- Cultural competence seminar series for PGY 2 residents
- Structured didactic content for all residents on raising awareness of racism and white privilege (through readings, discussions, assignments)
- Diversity M&M quarterly Grand rounds
Promoting Diversity in the Faculty and Residents of Our Program
- The Diversity committee (new) endeavors to foster a culture in which achieving equity, diversity and inclusivity are high priorities.
- Although just starting, the goal is to have an active workgroup that meets monthly and includes faculty members, staff, and trainees
- Seeks to foster a departmental culture of respect, equity, and inclusiveness among its diverse staff, trainees, and faculty
- Ideas moving forward for the committee to consider and implement include a quarterly M&M conference with cases that raise racial or cultural implications in the assessment and treatment of patients, a book/movie club to encourage the discussion of ideas, a QI project for the clinic to increase representation of people of color.
Resident Recruitment and Retention
- Our recruitment committee has always (and continues) to focus on the recruitment of underrepresented minorities and individuals from other underrepresented groups in residency. This year we are participating in virtual recruitment fairs aimed at this goal.
Promoting Diversity at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
Office of Diversity and Community Engagement (https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/odce/)
- A resource for our program to continue to develop our diversity endeavors
- Shares weekly Wake Up Wednesday email with readings and resources