Program Mission Statement
The LSU Pediatric Residency Program's mission is to train knowledgeable, culturally competent, and caring pediatricians who provide quality care to a broad range of pediatric patients, while improving healthcare disparities within our New Orleans community. Fostering a supportive training environment focused on prioritizing teamwork and patient safety will ensure that the individualized educational and career goals of each resident are met – whether that be in an outpatient pediatric practice, an academic setting, or in further subspecialized training.
1. Provide a comprehensive experience – through clinical exposure and didactic education – in both general and subspecialty pediatrics to equip residents with the knowledge and skills to successfully pass the pediatric board certification examination and to pursue outpatient general pediatrics, fellowship training, or academic practice.
2. Meet the educational needs of individual residents by providing a diverse selection of individualized opportunities/rotations. Train residents to be leaders in areas that highlight their individualized strengths, whether as community pediatricians, medical educators, researchers, or subspecialized physicians.
3. Teach residents to appreciate and effectively evaluate medical research, preparing them to engage in life-long learning.
4. Educate and have residents participate in patient safety and quality improvement initiatives to ensure their long-term commitment to improving healthcare quality for all patients.
5. Provide a supportive educational environment that stimulates faculty/peer camaraderie, while encouraging resident inquiry and ultimate autonomy in patient care.
6. Ensure resident/faculty wellness and prevent burnout by fostering teamwork, providing a balanced curriculum to improve work/life integration, equipping individuals with life-long skills to foster personal resilience, and working with our sponsoring institution and training sites to improve system barriers to this goal.
7. Provide care for the medically underserved population of New Orleans, while training our residents to be advocates for children within the state of Louisiana and beyond.
8. Increase the pediatrician work-force within the state of Louisiana and the Gulf South region.